Treating Speech, Voice, Cognition and Language Disorders
Doctors Hospital of Laredo is focused on treating patients with disorders of speech, voice, language, cognition, memory and swallowing. Patients may need these services as the result of having a stroke, brain tumor, neurological/post-neurological condition, neuromuscular disease, or head and neck surgery. Outpatient rehabilitation services are provided at the North Laredo Diagnostic and Therapy Center.
The Speech and Language Pathology team provides a range of evaluative, preventative and rehabilitative services to those with disorders, including:
- Aphasia (language impairment that hampers the production or comprehension of speech and the ability to read or write)
- Apraxia (speech disorder in which a person has trouble saying what he or she wants to say correctly and consistently)
- Dysarthria (problems with the muscles of the mouth, tongue, larynx, or vocal cords)
- Dysphagia (difficulty or pain swallowing)
- Voice disorders
- Laryngectomy (surgery to remove all or part of the voice box or larynx)
- Glossectomy (removal of part of or entire tongue)
A treatment plan is created for each patient that is focused on re-establishing functional and reliable communication. Treatment goals may also address specific communicative-cognitive deficits through a variety of facilitatory and compensatory treatment techniques.
Patients with swallowing disorders are seen for a comprehensive evaluation which may include a videofluorographic swallowing study to achieve safe swallowing. This is followed by swallowing treatment and diet modification as needed.
The speech language pathologists at North Laredo Diagnostic and Therapy Center are certified in VitalStim Therapy and Lee Silverman Voice Treatment for individuals with Parkinson's and other neurological conditions. They are also trained in tracheoesophageal voice prosthesis, flexible endoscopic evaluation of swallowing, modified barium studies and instrumental voice evaluation.
Outpatient services are available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.