Surgical Services at Doctors Hospital
For many conditions, the best treatment option is surgery. The surgical team at Doctors Hospital of Laredo performs a variety of procedures that use advanced tools and techniques to make surgery and recovery easier on patients.
Based on a patient's diagnosis and medical condition, surgeons can use minimally invasive surgical techniques that typically result in fewer complications, smaller scars, shorter hospital stays and faster recoveries for patients. During a minimally invasive procedure, surgeons operate through small, pencil-sized incisions as opposed to making larger openings needed for traditional surgery.
Surgical Areas of Expertise
While surgeons at Doctors Hospital conduct surgery to treat both simple and complex diseases, the team has specific expertise in the following areas:
For those who are severely overweight, weight-loss or bariatric surgery, combined with lifestyle changes can lead to a longer and healthier life. Weight-loss surgeons at Doctors Hospital offer several procedures to help patients lose weight. Learn more about weight-loss surgery at Doctors Hospital >
Heart and Vascular Surgery
Cardiac surgeons who work in The Heart and Vascular Program at Doctors Hospital perform coronary artery bypass surgery, aneurysm repair, balloon angioplasty, cardiac ablation and other complex procedures for diseases of the heart, blood vessels and lungs. Doctors Hospital recently completed a $2.7 million renovation to expand and remodel its advanced cardiac surgical suite, which is dedicated exclusively to open heart procedures.
Orthopedic surgeons at Doctors Hospital are using Mako™ robotic-arm assisted surgery to gain more precision and accuracy during partial knee replacement (knee resurfacing) surgery. Learn more about Mako technology >
The gastrointestinal surgical team at Doctors Hospital specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the lower intestinal tract such as colon and rectal cancer, diverticular disease, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's Disease, hemorrhoids and more.
Head and Neck Surgery
Head and neck surgery at Doctors Hospital is performed by otolaryngologists or Ear, Nose and Throat specialists. The otolaryngologist is trained in:
- Laryngology: Treatment of patients suffering from voice and swallowing disorders caused by benign or malignant conditions affecting the vocal cords and other vocal/swallowing tract structures.
- Maxillofacial and Reconstructive Surgery: Treatment of patients with abnormalities of the face and mouth, including a variety of problems from birth defects (such as cleft palate) to accidents causing disfigurement to removal of tumors involving the tissues of the mouth. They also perform surgical procedures to reshape the nose or jaw to improve appearance and function.
- Nose and Sinus Allergy: Diagnosis and treatment of patients with symptoms and manifestations of nose and sinus allergy including hay fever and other inhalant seasonal and perennial allergies which are present all year round.
- Oncology: Treatment of cancer of the head and neck which may involve surgery, radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy. The Otolaryngologist works closely with a Medical and Radiation Oncologist to design the best possible treatment program.
- Otology: Medical and/or surgical treatment of diseases and conditions of the ear, such as: ear infections, balance problems or dizziness, and hearing problems.
Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery
During reconstructive surgery, surgeons correct physical conditions that were caused by burns, abnormalities and injuries or to correct scars or other issues caused by cancer or tumors. Cosmetic surgery is an elective procedure in which normal parts of the body are reshaped to help improve a person’s appearance or reduce signs of aging. Cosmetic and reconstructive procedures performed by a plastic surgeon from Doctors Hospital include:
- Treatment of skin diseases, cancer or trauma
- Complex wound and burn treatment
- Surgery of the breast
- Treatment of facial deformity, disease, trauma
- Surgery of the trunk and extremities
Da Vinci Si™ Surgical System
The da Vinci Si™ Surgical System performs a wide range of delicate and complex operations through a few small incisions. Controlled by a trained surgeon, use can lead to a shorter hospital stay, fewer complications, less blood loss, a faster recovery and more when compared to typical open surgery.
Individual results may vary. There are risks associated with any surgical procedure. Talk with your doctor about these risks to find out if robotic surgery is right for you.