Visiting Hours and Guidelines
We recognize that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released new guidelines for vaccinated individuals. Per the CDC, these guidelines are not intended for healthcare settings. We will continue to require that masks be worn at all times by staff, patients, and visitors to our facility.
As the COVID-19 pandemic is evolving to an endemic infection, we are updating our guidelines. These guidelines are subject to change as needed to protect our patients, community, employees, and medical staff. The following visitor guidelines are in effect as of Monday, May 2, 2022, until further notice:
- Visiting hours are 9 am – 9 pm.
- Emergency Department – No restrictions on number of visitors.
- Outpatient Surgery – No restrictions on number of visitors.
- Outpatient Visits – No restrictions on number of visitors.
- Immunocompromised Patients – Need to get a physician order for visitation.
- Cancer Center – One visitor at a time.
- Labor and Delivery – Non-COVID patients may have two visitors at a time. COVID patients may have one visitor at a time. One support person (family member) may stay overnight (no hour restriction).
- Post-Partum – Non-COVID patients may have two visitors at a time. COVID patients may have one visitor at a time. One support person (family member) may stay overnight (no hour restriction). Siblings may visit, but no other children are allowed.
- NICU – Open visiting hours. One visitor at a time. Overnight stay is not allowed (as per department policy).
- Pediatrics – One visitor at a time. One support person (family member) may stay overnight.
- ICU – Non-COVID patients may have two visitors at a time. COVID patients may have one visitor at a time.
- Medical/Surgical – No restrictions for non-COVID patients. COVID patients may have one visitor at a time.
- Patients with disabilities and special needs (including cognitive and developmental disabilities) who receive care at the hospital may have a designated support person present with them to support their disability needs at all times medically necessary where such does not interfere with their treatment. There is no hour restriction.
- Compassionate Care/End-of-Life Situations in COVID Units – One screened visitor (family member) is allowed at a time. Proper hand hygiene is required to enter the room and upon leaving the room. Time is limited to 15 minutes. Visitor must wear PPE at all times, including N95 mask, face shield, gloves and gown. Children under the age of 7 will require administration approval to visit.
- Check with the floor nurse or contact the Information Desk at 956-523-2828 about the visiting hours for other units and additional hospital information.
Get the latest COVID-19 updates →
- All visitors that enter any DHL facility will need to self-screen for COVID symptoms. If you are positive or have symptoms you should not enter. Signage will be posted at the entrance. All visitors are required to wear a hospital grade mask. Cloth masks and respirators are not allowed.
- Visitors must be at least 12 years of age to be in a patient's room. In certain situations, a patient may be permitted to visit children in the hospital's lobby or children may have a limited visit in the patient's room. For their safety, children younger than age 12 should never be left unattended.
- Smoking is only permitted in the designated smoking area that is located outside of Doctors Hospital.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn.
- People with colds, sore throats or any contagious diseases should not visit patients.
- Visits should be kept short. Visitors should avoid unnecessary noise to maintain a quiet environment.
- Visitors may be asked to leave the room during tests or treatments or when the doctor or nurse needs to see the patient.
- Liberal visiting arrangements may be made for families of surgical patients on the day of surgery.
- Visitor lounge areas are located on each patient floor and on the main floor in the lobby. Specific waiting areas have been designated for families of patients in the critical care units, the emergency department and surgery. During certain hours, a ward clerk is on duty in the surgery waiting room to keep family members informed about the progress of surgery.
Doctors Hospital has preferred rates with several area hotels. Please contact Administration at 956-523-2001 for rates.
Parking for patients and visitors is available at the hospital in front of the Main Entrance and Women's Center. Parking is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Check with the floor nurse before bringing gifts of food or drink to patients as some are on restricted diets. On the Intensive Care Unit, please check with the unit regarding any gifts for patients.
The hospital Gift Shop offers gift items, jewelry, magazines, greeting cards, snacks, balloons, toiletries and flowers. The Gift Shop phone number is 956-523-2626.
- Monday through Friday: 10 am – 3 pm
- Saturday: 10 am – 2 pm
- Sunday: Closed
A meditation room, which is located on the first floor by ICU, is open 24 hours a day for patients and visitors.