Early Cancer Detection is Key
Cancer is best treated when detected early, so Doctors Hospital focuses on providing cancer screening services and educational programs for the Laredo community.
When it comes to diagnosing cancer, the team at Doctors Hospital has access to the latest techniques including:
- 3D or Digital Mammography — one of the most advanced imaging technologies available to detect breast cancer detection, especially for evaluating dense breast tissue. Mammography uses a low-powered X-ray to provide pictures of breast tissue.
- Ultrasound — uses high frequency sound waves to see inside the body. As the sound waves pass through the body, echoes are produced that help doctors determine the location of a structure or abnormality. Typically used to examine the heart, liver, blood vessels, breast, kidney or gall bladder.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) — uses radio waves and a strong magnetic field to create detailed pictures of organs and tissues. Since MRI does not use X-rays, no radiation exposure is involved. MRI is useful in diagnosing diseases in all parts of the body
- Computerized Tomography (CT scanning) — uses special X-ray systems that image the body from different angles and use computer processing to show a cross-section of the various tissues and organs pictured.
- Nuclear Medicine — uses liquid substances called tracers that release low levels of radiation into the body to create images that help doctors find tumors and see how far cancer has spread in the body
Based on the diagnosis, the medical team will determine the best course of cancer treatment for you, which can include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, surgery or a combination of services.
Find an Oncology Specialist
If you need a referral to an oncology specialist or other physician at Doctors Hospital of Laredo, call our free physician referral service at 877-992-1711 or search for a doctor online.